More about Da Hinggan Ling
Discover Da Hinggan Ling: Fun Facts and Reasons to Visit
Da Hinggan Ling, also known as the Greater Khingan Range, is a vast mountainous region in northeastern China, spanning over 1,200 km from Heilongjiang to Inner Mongolia. The area is rich in natural resources, including forests, grasslands, rivers, and wildlife. It is home to several ethnic groups, such as the Oroqen, Daur, and Evenki, who have preserved their traditional cultures and lifestyles. Da Hinggan Ling is a unique destination for travelers who seek adventure, nature, and culture.
One of the fun facts about Da Hinggan Ling is that it is the birthplace of the Siberian tiger, one of the world's most endangered species. The Hinggan Mountains Nature Reserve, located in the eastern part of the region, is a protected area where visitors can observe these magnificent animals in their natural habitat. The reserve also hosts other rare and endemic species, such as the Amur leopard, the lynx, and the red-crowned crane.
Another reason to visit Da Hinggan Ling is its scenic landscapes, which vary from alpine forests to grassy plains to wetlands. The region has many natural parks and scenic spots, such as the Erguna Wetland National Nature Reserve, the Genhe Wetland National Park, the Mohe National Forest Park, and the Wudalianchi Scenic Area. These places offer opportunities for hiking, camping, birdwatching, and photography.
Da Hinggan Ling is also a cultural treasure trove, with many historic sites, festivals, and traditions. The Oroqen Museum in Mohe showcases the history and culture of the Oroqen people, who are known for their hunting and fishing skills. The Daur Ethnic Customs Park in Hailar features traditional Daur architecture, costumes, and food. The Evenki Reindeer Herders' Village in Genhe allows visitors to experience the lifestyle of the Evenki people, who rely on reindeer for transportation, food, and clothing. The Nadam Fair, held in July or August, is a grand festival of the Mongolian people, with horse racing, wrestling, and archery competitions.
How to Go to Da Hinggan Ling: Tips for Travelers
Da Hinggan Ling is a remote and sparsely populated area, but it is accessible by various means of transportation. The nearest airports are in Hailar, Mohe, and Jiagedaqi, which have flights to major cities in China, such as Beijing, Harbin, and Shanghai. From the airports, travelers can take taxis, buses, or private cars to their destinations.
Another option is to take a train to Hailar, which is the main railway hub of the region. The train journey from Beijing to Hailar takes about 24 hours, but it offers scenic views of the countryside. From Hailar, travelers can take buses or taxis to other parts of the region.
For those who prefer to drive, there are several highways that connect Da Hinggan Ling to other regions of China. The most popular route is the National Highway 301, which runs from Hailar to Mohe, passing through scenic spots such as the Hulun Lake and the Arctic Village. However, driving in Da Hinggan Ling can be challenging due to the rugged terrain, the harsh climate, and the sparse population. It is recommended to hire a local driver or join a guided tour.
Fun Things to Do in Da Hinggan Ling: Nature and Culture
Da Hinggan Ling offers a wide range of activities for nature lovers and culture enthusiasts. Here are some of the fun things to do in the region:
- Explore the wetlands: Da Hinggan Ling has some of the largest and most diverse wetlands in China, which are important habitats for migratory birds, fish, and plants. Visitors can take boat tours, birdwatching walks, or fishing trips to the wetlands, and learn about the ecology and conservation of these fragile ecosystems. The Erguna Wetland National Nature Reserve, located on the border with Russia, is a must-see destination for wetland lovers.
- Hike the mountains: Da Hinggan Ling has many mountains and forests that are ideal for hiking and camping. The Mohe National Forest Park, located in the northernmost part of China, is a popular destination for its virgin forests, waterfalls, and hot springs. The Wudalianchi Scenic Area, located in the volcanic region of the Hinggan Mountains, is a UNESCO World Geopark that features crater lakes, lava fields, and rare flora and fauna.
- Visit the ethnic villages: Da Hinggan Ling is home to several ethnic groups, each with its own customs, languages, and arts. Visitors can visit the Oroqen Museum in Mohe, the Daur Ethnic Customs Park in Hailar, the Evenki Reindeer Herders' Village in Genhe, and other cultural sites to learn about the history and lifestyle of these communities. Some villages also offer homestays, where travelers can experience local hospitality and cuisine.
- Attend the festivals: Da Hinggan Ling has many festivals and celebrations throughout the year, which reflect the region's diverse cultures and traditions. The Nadam Fair, held in July or August, is a grand spectacle of horse racing, wrestling, and archery, and attracts thousands of visitors from all over China. The Ice and Snow Festival, held in Mohe in January, features ice sculptures, snow activities, and northern cuisine.
Where to Stay in Da Hinggan Ling: Top Hotels and Accommodations
Da Hinggan Ling has a limited number of hotels and accommodations, but they offer unique experiences and excellent services. Here are some of the top hotels in the region:
- Mohe Suojin Hotel: This 4-star hotel is located in the center of Mohe, the northernmost city in China. It offers comfortable rooms, a restaurant, a bar, a fitness center, and a spa. The hotel also provides tours to the Arctic Village, the Northern Lights Observatory, and other attractions.
- Yuanju Guest House: This guest house is located in the Erguna Wetland National Nature Reserve, and offers traditional Mongolian yurts and wooden cabins for accommodation. It also has a restaurant, a bar, and a campfire area, where guests can enjoy Mongolian cuisine, music, and dance.
- Xunbeizhilv Hostel: This hostel is located in the Wudalianchi Scenic Area, and offers cozy rooms and dorms for budget travelers. It also has a restaurant, a bar, and a terrace with panoramic views of the volcanic landscape.
- Beijixing Hotel: This hotel is located in the downtown area of Hailar, and offers modern rooms, a restaurant, a bar, and a business center. It is convenient for travelers who want to explore the city's attractions, such as the Hulun Lake, the Hailar National Forest Park, and the Hulunbuir Grassland.
- Arctic Ice Blueberry Winery (Arctic Village): This winery is located in the Arctic Village, and offers unique accommodations in ice and snow houses. It also has a restaurant, a bar, and a shop, where guests can taste and buy the local blueberry wine and products.
Best Season to Visit Da Hinggan Ling: Weather and Festivals
The best season to visit Da Hinggan Ling depends on the travelers' preferences and interests. The region has a continental climate, with cold and dry winters and warm and rainy summers. The average temperature in January is -20°C, while in July it is 20°C. The region is also prone to snowstorms, blizzards, and floods, especially in the mountainous areas.
For nature lovers, the best season to visit Da Hinggan Ling is from May to October, when the weather is mild and the scenery is colorful. This is also the season for birdwatching, fishing, and hiking. The Erguna Wetland National Nature Reserve is particularly beautiful in autumn, when the leaves turn red and yellow. The Wudalianchi Scenic Area is best visited in summer, when the lakes are crystal clear and the waterfalls are spectacular.
For culture enthusiasts, the best season to visit Da Hinggan Ling is during the festivals, which are held throughout the year. The Nadam Fair in July or August is the most famous festival, but it is also the busiest and most expensive season. The Ice and Snow Festival in January is a quieter and more affordable alternative, and offers a unique experience of the winter wonderland.
What to Eat in Da Hinggan Ling: Local Cuisine and Delicacies
Da Hinggan Ling has a rich culinary heritage, which reflects the region's natural resources and ethnic diversity. The local cuisine features wild game, fish, mushrooms, berries, and dairy products, as well as Chinese and Mongolian influences. Here are some of the must-try dishes in Da Hinggan Ling:
- Roast lamb: This is a classic Mongolian dish, which consists of whole lamb roasted over an open fire. The lamb is seasoned with salt and cumin, and served with steamed bread, pickles, and milk tea. The best place to try roast lamb is in the grasslands, where many nomadic families offer it as a hospitality gesture.
- Fish hotpot: This is a popular dish in the wetlands, which uses fresh fish caught from the rivers and lakes. The fish is cooked in a hotpot with vegetables, tofu, and spices, and served with rice or noodles. The hotpot is a communal dish, which is shared among the diners and accompanied by beer or rice wine.
- Wild mushroom soup: This is a nutritious and flavorful soup, which uses various kinds of wild mushrooms, such as matsutake, shiitake, and chanterelle. The mushrooms are simmered with chicken or pork broth, ginger, garlic, and scallions, and served with steamed rice or noodles. The soup is a warming and comforting dish, which is perfect for the cold weather.
- Blueberry wine: This is a specialty of the Arctic Village, where the local blueberries are fermented into a sweet and tangy wine. The wine is served chilled or hot, and can be paired with desserts or snacks. The Arctic Ice Blueberry Winery is a great place to taste and buy the blueberry wine and products.
Traveling around Da Hinggan Ling: Transportation and Tours
Da Hinggan Ling is a vast and diverse region, which requires careful planning and preparation for travel. Here are some tips for transportation and tours in the region:
- Hire a local driver or guide: This is the most convenient and reliable way to travel in Da Hinggan Ling, especially for those who do not speak Chinese or are not familiar with the local routes and customs. Many hotels and travel agencies offer car rental and tour services, which can be customized to the travelers' needs and interests.
- Take public transportation: This is a more affordable and adventurous way to travel in Da Hinggan Ling, but it requires some patience and flexibility. The region has bus and taxi services, but they may not run frequently or on schedule. It is recommended to check the timetables and routes beforehand, and to bring enough cash and snacks for the journey.
- Join a group tour: This is a popular option for those who want to meet other travelers and share the costs and experiences. Many travel agencies offer group tours to the major attractions in Da Hinggan Ling, such as the wetlands, the mountains, and the ethnic villages. The tours usually include transportation, accommodation, meals, and guides.
- Rent a car or bike: This is a good option for those who want to explore Da Hinggan Ling at their own pace and style. The region has many car rental and bike rental services, which offer various models and prices. However, driving or biking in Da Hinggan Ling can be challenging, especially for those who are not used to the rugged terrain, the harsh climate, and the traffic rules.
Why Use Agoda.com to Book a Hotel in Da Hinggan Ling: Benefits and Deals
Agoda.com is a leading travel website that specializes in affordable and hassle-free hotel bookings. By using Agoda.com to book a hotel in Da Hinggan Ling, travelers can enjoy the following benefits and deals:
- Wide selection of hotels: Agoda.com offers a wide range of hotels and accommodations in Da Hinggan Ling, from budget hostels to luxury resorts. The website provides detailed descriptions, photos, and reviews of each hotel, which help travelers to make informed choices.
- Best price guarantee: Agoda.com guarantees the best prices for the hotels listed on its website. If a traveler finds a lower price for the same hotel on another website, Agoda.com will match or beat that price.
- Instant confirmation: Agoda.com provides instant confirmation of hotel bookings, which saves time and hassle for travelers. The website also offers 24/7 customer support, which can assist travelers with any questions or problems.
- Reward points: Agoda.com offers reward points for every hotel booking, which can be redeemed for discounts or free stays in the future. The more bookings a traveler makes on Agoda.com, the more points and benefits he or she can earn.
- Promotions and discounts: Agoda.com offers various promotions and discounts throughout the year, which can save travelers money on their hotel bookings. The website also has a loyalty program, which offers exclusive deals and perks for frequent users.
Essential Tips for Travelers to Da Hinggan Ling: Dos and Don'ts
Here are some essential tips for travelers to Da Hinggan Ling, which can help them to have a safe, enjoyable, and respectful trip:
- Do dress warmly and in layers, as the weather in Da Hinggan Ling can be unpredictable and extreme. Bring gloves, hats, scarves, and thermal underwear, especially if you plan to do outdoor activities.
- Do respect the local customs and traditions, especially those of the ethnic groups. Ask for permission before taking photos or entering someone's house. Do not litter, smoke, or use loud voices in public places.
- Do bring enough cash and supplies, as ATM machines and shops may not be available in some areas. Bring snacks, water, and medicine, especially if you have special dietary or health needs.
- Don't venture into the mountains or forests alone, especially if you are not familiar with the terrain or the wildlife. Hire a local guide or join a group tour, and follow the safety instructions.
- Don't buy or consume illegal wildlife products, such as tiger bones, bear bile, or ivory. These products are not only unethical but also punishable by law.
- Don't disrespect the environment, such as by picking flowers, damaging trees, or disturbing animals. Leave only footprints and take only memories.
With these tips and information, travelers can make the most of their trip to Da Hinggan Ling and enjoy its natural and cultural wonders.